Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Subjectivity in Photography


I just finished the NewsU course on the Language of the Image, and throughout the synthesis, I disagreed with the choices of the instructor on what elements each photograph highlighted. I saw perspective where he thought the graphic element was most important. I noticed the lighting in photographs where he noted the juxtaposition. My eye was drawn to the personality of someone when he focused on the element of surprise.

Most of the time we agreed on the one or two most obvious elements that made a photograph successful. After that, it becomes more subjective. Our eyes interpret images differently. What one person finds provocative bores another. Such is the nature of photography and art in general.

However, some elements need to be present for a photograph to be successful. The rule of thirds is always a good start to composing a shot. Lighting should be optimal, though sometimes in gymnasiums and indoor places, one cannot do much to improve the situation. The photograph should evoke a response from the viewer. When taking a picture, what is the point? What do I as the photographer want the viewer to see? I tend toward artsy angles and layered looks because I like their appearance, but these trends may not accomplish what I seek in a photo essay that ought to be more focused than shooting personal photographs.

I will need to pay attention to all the elements mentioned in the NewsU course moving forward.
  • Graphic
  • Quality of light
  •  Emotion
  • Juxtaposition
  • Mood
  • Sense of place
  • Point of entry
  • Impact
  • Rule of thirds
  • Perspective
  • Surprise
  • Layering
  • Moment
  • Personality Portrait


Source: Davidson, John and Maria Mann. “Language of the Image.” News University. Poynter Institute. 23 Sept. 2013 <http://www.newsu.org/angel/content/loti/loti.htm>.

No comments:

Post a Comment